Brief Your Event Sponsor and Provide Speaking Remarks
Briefing Your Event Host
Two weeks prior to your event, it is suggested you provide briefing materials to your event’s host or campus sponsor leadership to adequately prepare them and to resolve any last minute questions. Include any information that you feel would be beneficial to your host such as:
- Event fact sheet (event name, date, time, location, goals, format and contact information)
- A description of the host or sponsor’s role at the event and requested arrival time
- Guest list and seating charts
- Biographies of key participants
- Program schedule (a chronological list of the program components - welcome, greetings, introductions, video, speakers, presentations, awards, etc. and the total program run time)
Providing Speaking Remarks for Program Participants
Work with your department’s communications staff to adequately prepare your sponsor's or program participant’s speaking remarks. Your staff writer may ask you the following questions:
- What are the goals of your event? What is the setting - formal or informal?
- What are the other speakers talking about to avoid overlap and repetition?
- Who is the audience? How many people are expected to attend?
- Has the host or another University official spoken to this audience recently? If so, when?
- Are these brief remarks (three to five minutes) or is this a more substantive speech (five minutes or longer)?
- What key messages would you like addressed?
- Who will do the introductions? Will there be a question and answer session?
- Will there be a podium, hand held microphone, or lavaliere?
- Will the event be video or audio taped? Will there be a photographer?
- Have you invited the media?
If the Chancellor, Chancellor's spouse, or the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost are confirmed to speak at your event, contact the Executive Communications Office to coordinate the preparation of major speeches and remarks.
UCLA Special Events and Protocol Office
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: (310) 794-0660